Extension of Mortgage Protections
Fair Housing Administration Extension until February 28, 2021
Servicers are banned from starting or continuing with a foreclosure or a foreclosure-related eviction action for Fair Housing Administration (FHA) insured single family forward and reverse mortgages, except for those secured by legally vacant and abandoned properties through February 28, 2021.
To read more about this extension, please view the Department of Housing and Urban Development's Mortgagee Letters, issued on December 17, 2020:
- Mortgagee Letter 2020-43 - Extension of Foreclosure and Eviction Moratorium in Connection with the Presidentially-Declared COVID-19 National Emergency (This letter announces the extension of this moratorium until February 28, 2021.)
- Mortgagee Letter 2020-44 - Second Update to the COVID-19 Forbearance Start Date and the COVID-19 Home Equity Conversion Mortgage (HECM) Extension Period (This letter extends deadlines associated with the due and payable dates for HECM borrowers impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.)
- Mortgagee Letter 2020-45 - Extension of Temporary Guidance for Endorsement of Mortgages under Forbearance for Borrowers Affected by the Presidentially-Declared COVID-19 National Emergency consistent with the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act (This letter extends the guidance related to endorsement processes for mortgages where a borrower has been granted a forbearance related to the pandemic prior to the loan being endorsed for FHA Insurance.)
- Mortgagee Letter 2020-46 - Extension of Temporary Guidance for COVID-19 Multisubject: Updated Temporary Guidance for Verification of Self-Employment; Rental Income; 203(k) Rehabilitation Escrow Account (This letter extends the use of guidance related to verification of self-employment and verification of rental income during the pandemic.)
- Mortgagee Letter 2020-47 - Extension of Re-verification of Employment and Exterior only Appraisal scope of work option for Federal Housing Administration (FHA) Single Family programs impacted by the Coronavirus Disease of 2019 (COVID-19) (This letter extends the use of exterior-only appraisals.)
U.S. Department of Agriculture Extension until June 30, 2021
An additional extension was granted by the U.S. Department of Agriculture on February 16, 2021 to extend eviction and foreclosure moratoriums on USDA Single Family Housing Direct and Guaranteed loans through June 30, 2021. The actions announced will bring relief to residents in rural America who have housing loans through USDA.
To read more about this extension, please visit the U.S.D.A.'s website here: U.S.D.A. Extension of Eviction and Foreclosure Moratoriums