Pro Bono Opportunities
The promise of equal justice in our society requires the commitment and involvement of the private bar in the legal concerns of the poor. Helping those in your community who are truly in need, and who, without you, may be unable to seek justice, can be one of the most rewarding and inspiring experiences in your legal career.
If you are an attorney and you would like to volunteer with Idaho Legal Aid Services, Inc. (ILAS), please contact us at: (208) 746-7541 to be put in touch with your local ILAS office.
What kind of help is needed?
Fortunately, the Idaho Volunteer Lawyers Program (IVLP), a Idaho Law Foundation program, allows you to easily assist low-income clients with a wide variety of cases, including:
- Custody and Visitation
- Modification of child custody court orders
- Debt Defense (limited)
- Guardianship of Adults or Child(ren)
- Assistance for nonprofit corporations
- Wills and Probate (limited assets)
Other opportunities for participation in IVLP projects include:
- IVLP-sponsored Advice and Consultation clinics at Senior Citizen and Community Centers
- Conducting family law or bankruptcy advice and consultation clinics
- Serving as Volunteer Attorney of the Day
- Volunteering to mentor new attorneys who have accepted pro bono cases in specific areas of the law
Note: The IVLP does not accept fee generating matters, real estate cases, criminal matters, worker's compensation, or patent/copyrights cases.
IVLP makes volunteering as easy as possible:
- IVLP staff screens applicants to make sure they are low-income and have appropriate types of cases.
- IVLP staff will match you with eligible applicants.
- The IVLP can connect you with a mentor to help when it's a new area of law for you.
- The IVLP provides malpractice insurance (if needed).
- IVLP clients receive an automatic filing fee waiver.
- When you accept an IVLP case, you can receive a voucher for a free Law Foundation CLE.
- The IVLP will help find resources for costs.
- The IVLP offers recognition for your contribution.
If you volunteer for IVLP, ILAS attorneys may be able to assist you with your case(s).
ILAS is the largest provider of civil legal services to Idaho's poor and our attorneys practice in many of the legal areas covered by IVLP pro bono work. Our attorneys are available to consult with IVLP volunteers on their cases in the areas we practice. ILAS may also be able to connect pro bono attorneys with legal forms or other legal materials to help them represent their clients.
How Do I Volunteer?
If you are an attorney looking for pro bono opportunities, please register with IVLP here: Idaho Pro Bono Opportunities.
Or, you can call IVLP to volunteer. If you are an attorney located in the Treasure Valley, please call: (208) 334-4510. If you are an attorney located anywhere else in Idaho, please call toll free at:1-800-221-3295. You can either accept a case or participate in one of the IVLP's ongoing legal projects.
How Do I Find a Pro Bono Attorney?
If you are in need of legal help and are searching for a pro bono/volunteer attorney, please visit the Idaho Volunteer Lawyers Program website for more information by clicking HERE.