Safety Measures to Take While in an Abusive Relationship
1. Have important phone numbers memorized.
2. Keep change for pay phones with you at all times.
3. If you can, open your own bank account.
4. Stay in touch with your friends.
5. Practice how to leave your home safely. Teach your children about exit options such as back doors, windows, elevators and stairwells. Rehearse your escape plan until you know it by heart.
6. Leave a set of car keys, extra money, a change of clothes and copies of the following documents with trusted relatives or friends: birth certificates, school and medical records, bank books, welfare identification, passports or green cards, lease agreements or mortgage payment books, insurance papers, important addresses and telephone numbers, and any other important documents.