Safety after Leaving an Abusive Relationship
1. Change the locks.
2. Install as many security features as possible in your home.
3. Inform neighbors that your former partner is not welcome on the premises.
4. Make sure the people who care for your children are very clear about who does and does not have permission to pick up your children.
5. Obtain a civil protection order.
6. Let your co-workers know about the situation.
7. Avoid the stores, banks, and businesses you used when you were living with your batterer. Change your routine and make it unpredictable to your partner. For example, shop in a different grocery store at a different time each week, drive on different roads to and from work and use the buddy system when going to places that your partner knows you frequent.
8. Get counseling.