About Fair Housing
If you, as an individual or family, are seeking housing, the Fair Housing Act prohibits discrimination because of:
- national origin
- familial status: Children under 18 living with parents or legal custodians, pregnant women, or people trying to get custody of someone under the age of 18.
- disability: mental and/or physical.
The term "housing" includes the following:
- multi-unit dwellings: rental units of 4 units or more
- mobile homes/trailer courts
- private homes and housing for sale
- vacant land
- homeless shelters (although not a place of permanent residence)
- shelters for battered women and their families
- group homes for recovery of drug addicts and alcoholics
- seasonal bungalows
- senior/nursing homes