I Need to File a Fair Housing Complaint

This section provides information on where to file a fair housing complaint; the information needed to file a complaint; and advice  on what to  expect during the complaint process. If you feel you have been discriminated against by a housing provider, filing a complaint can be a crucial way to protect you and prevent future discrimination in our community.

Your fair housing rights are protected under Title VIII of the Civil Rights Act of 1968 (Fair Housing Act). If those rights have been violated, you can file a complaint with HUD. Anyone can file a complaint with HUD at no cost. Because there are time limits on filing a housing discrimination complaint, you should not delay in contacting HUD.

Fair housing complaints can be filed with HUD by:

  • Calling 1-800-669-9777 or 1-800-877-8339
  • Mailing a letter that includes: Your name and address, the name and address of the person your complaint is about, the address of the house or apartment at issue, the date when the incident occurred, and a short description of what happened. Mail the letter to: FHEO HUB Office 909 First Ave., Room 205, Seattle, WA 98104.
  • Filing online at https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/fair_housing_equal_opp/online-complaint  

After HUD has received the initial information, an intake specialist will contact the person who filed the complaint (the “complainant”) and interview him or her to collect facts about the alleged discrimination. Initial interviews are normally conducted by telephone. The intake specialist will then review the allegations to determine whether HUD has the authority to investigate. It is important to have your notes with key information ready before HUD calls and it is important to return any calls you receive from HUD in order for the investigation to proceed.

For more information about the HUD Complaint Process, see the following webpages:


Other Fair Housing Pages:

Please provide your feedback on the Fair Housing Portal.

Last updated on .
How helpful do you find the information on this page?
Please tell us why this page wasn't helpful
About text formats

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
  • Web page addresses and email addresses turn into links automatically.
This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.

Table of Contents


    News & publications

    The news about recent activities for needed peoples.

    More News

    25 Aug 2017

    Court Rules that Same Sex Parent can Move Forward with Discrimination Suit Against the State of Idaho

    In an important step in securing equal rights for same-sex couples, a federal court ruled yesterday that an unmarried, lesbian mother can continue her fight to be recognized as the parent daughter.

    Continue Reading

    17 Jan 2017

    ILAS receives funds to help seniors from Idaho National Laboratory

    IDAHO LEGAL AID RECEIVES $1,440 GRANT Idaho National Laboratory, on behalf…

    Continue Reading

    Our Partners

    LSC's support for this website is limited to those activities that are consistent with LSC restrictions.